LIST OF 150 DISEASES OF DEEP BREATHING that can be treated by the VEDB (Volitional Elimination of Deep Breathing) also know as the Buteyko Breathing Technique.
150 Diseases of Deep Breathing
Doctor Buteyko’s Discovery Trilogy by Sergey Altukhov
Forword to Volume 1, The destruction of the laboratory
Two-Volume Russian Edition published in 1993 & English translation ebook published May 2nd 2009
For over 30 years – from October 1952 to September 1985 – the medical establishment hushed up my
discovery. It did everything to trample on and destroy the strongest weapon in the fight against many modern diseases. I was called a charlatan, a schizophrenic and a raving nutter, among other names. They tried to poison me three times, and organised two car crashes. There were several attempts to put me in a psychiatric hospital. They physically destroyed my laboratory , which was unique throughout the world. And all of this because I had discovered a lever that patients could pull to be free from their piles of pills and complicated surgical procedures that were far from safe. But of course, this is the mainstay of pharmacology, and thousands of surgeons have won State prizes. What, after all, is easier: to recognise a discovery and decrease your own specific weight or to accuse the author of pseudoscience? The latter is easier and more profitable…
Much has changed today, but those who simply criticised the Method previously are now trying to ram the genie back into the bottle from which it had begun to emerge. The discovery seems to have been recognised, but there’s just one tiny catch. A trifling reservation crept into the decision. 1 They say the Method only cures asthma, mild asthma at that, instead of the list of 150 diseases that I compiled during my decades of medical practice. Well, what of it. I spent 30 years working with diseases, and in five millennia, everyone will recognise my work, you’ll see. Of course, there might not be anyone left to treat…
Nevertheless, for you who are suffering from the basic diseases included in the significantly shortened list below, I resolutely declare: they can be treated with my Method! Every last one! But there’s no need to shout about it being a panacea – only the uneducated would think so. How can it be a panacea when the list contains a few dozen illnesses but modern medicine recognises around 30 thousand. This is a mere fraction, but they are the most common. That’s the whole point. I would stake my life on every line, but only for those who believe that the Method is the only chance of deliverance. People who believe in massages, acupuncture and yogi-mogis and shmogis had better not practice the Method. It only helps those who are its complete supporters. Not because it involves some kind of hypnosis or some other kind of suggestion, as my enemies claim. No, the Method is completely physiological – but half-hearted belief is always worse than disbelief.
1 Translator’s note: this may be a reference to the Order of the Soviet Ministry of Health on Measures to introduce the method of the volitional regulation of the depth of breath in the treatment of asthma, 30 April 1985.
LIST OF DISEASES OF DEEP BREATHING
LIST OF DISEASES OF DEEP BREATHING that can be treated by the VEDB (Volitional Elimination of Deep Breathing) also know as the Buteyko Breathing Technique.
1. Pre-asthmatic conditions:
a. allergic respiratory disease b. polyvalent allergy c. laryngospasm (voice loss) d. allergic conjunctivitis e. food allergies f. drug allergies g. pseudocroup h. pharyngitis i. laryngitis j. tracheitis
2. Asthmatic bronchitis 3. Bronchial asthma 4. CNSLD (chronic nonspecific lung disease):
a. chronic bronchitis, including obstructive bronchitis b. chronic pneumonia c. bronchiectasis d. pneumosclerosis e. emphysema f. silicosis, anthracosis, etc.
5. Chronic cold 6. Vasomotor rhinitis 7. Frontal sinusitis 8. Maxillary sinusitis 9. Sinusitis 10. Adenoids and polyps 11. [no number 11] 12. Chronic rhinosinusitis 13. Pollinoses (hay fever) 14. Quincke’s oedema 15. Hives 16. Eczema, including
a. neurodermatitis b. psoriasis c. diathesis d. vitiligo e. ichytosis f. acne
17. Raynaud’s disease (spasms of the vessels of the upper extremities) 2 18. Obliterating endarteritis
2 Translator’s note: Raynaud’s disease affects all the extremities, but Buteyko specifies the upper extremities.
19. Varicose veins 20. Thrombophlebitis 21. Haemorrhoids 22. Hypotension 23. Hypertension 24. Autonomic neuropathy 25. Congenital heart disease 26. Rheumatism of the joints 27. Rheumatic heart disease 28. Diencephalic syndrome 29. Ischemic heart disease (IHD) 30. Chronic IHD (CIHD)
a. rest and effort angina b. postinfarction cardiosclerosis
31. Cardiac arrhythmia:
a. tachycardia b. extrasystole c. paroxysmal tachycardia d. atrial fibrillation
32. Generalised atherosclerosis 33. Arachnoiditis (post-traumatic, influenzal, etc.) 34. Post-stroke conditions:
a. paralysis b. paresis
35. Parkinson’s disease (early stage) 36. Hypothyroidism 37. Hyperthyroidism 38. Graves’ disease 39. Diabetes 40. Irregular menstruation 41. Toxaemia of pregnancy 3 42. Menopausal problems 43. Cervical erosion 44. Fibromyoma 45. Fibrocystic breast changes 46. Infertility 47. Impotence 48. Threatened miscarriage 49. Radiculitis 50. Osteochondrosis
3 Translator’s note: It is not clear here if Buteyko means early toxaemia of pregnancy (morning sickness) or late toxaemia of pregnancy (pre-eclampsia) or both.
51. Metabolic polyarthropathy 52. Rheumatoid polyarthropathy 53. Dupuytren’s contracture (contracture of the palmar fascia) 54. Gout 55. Pyelonephritis 56. Glomerulonephritis 57. Nocturia (need to urinate at night) 58. Cystitis 59. Kidney stone disease 60. Obesity of all degrees 61. Lipomatosis 62. Chronic gastritis 63. Chronic cholecystitis 64. Biliary dyskinesia 65. Chronic pancreatitis 66. Gallstone disease 67. Duodenal ulcer 68. Irritable bowel syndrome 69. Peptic ulcers 70. Multiple sclerosis 71. Epileptic syndrome, (epilepsy)-convulsive syndrome 72. Schizophrenia (early stage) 73. Systemic autoimmune disease (scleroderma, systemic lupus erythematosus, dermatomyositis) 74. Glaucoma 75. Cataracts 76. Temporary squinting 77. Long sightedness 78. Radiation sickness 79. Acute and chronic hepatitis 80. Cirrhosis of the liver 81. HIV (AIDS)
Yes, now, today, and not in 5,000 years time (when it will be possible, but too late), being of sound mind and memory, I declare: my discovery of the diseases of deep breathing revolutionises the whole of medicine!
Doctor Buteyko’s Discovery Trilogy, Russian to English Translation 2009:
Translator: Fiona Paterson MA